Staple Food Challenge #5 – Chickpea Burgers
Our Staple Food Challenge is set to be even bigger and better in 2016 with a whole host of guest bloggers, customers and food critics lined up and ready to share their recipes!
We’re going to start the year with a re-blog of our favourite recipe from 2015 that was created by our first volunteer Emily! Here’s her AMAZING recipe for Chickpea burgers!
Ingredients (8 patties):
400g tin of Chickpeas, drained and rinsed, from Bounceback Food (they donate the same tin to your nearest food bank!)
1 Carrot, peeled and grated
1 Large Egg
2 tsp Dry Coriander Leaf
2 tsp Ground Cumin
2 tbsp Plain White Flour
Salt & Pepper
1 Garlic Clove, peeled and finely chopped
1. Mash together Bounceback chickpeas, garlic, and spices to a rough paste.
2. Stir in egg, carrot, flour, salt and pepper.
3. Mould into patties and shallow fry.
4. Serve! Try between a fluffy bread bun with fresh washed spinach, sliced tomatoes, and raw red onion.
– Tastes just as nice with gluten free flour! Handy for those with allergies.
– Add fresh chopped chillies, or chilli powder if you prefer a pattie with a kick.
– Grate your carrot lengthways. The longer carrot strands help to hold the patties together when frying.